Training for My First Marathon, Week 10

Posted: June 3, 2011 in Personal

So here’s my confession: I have not trained for a month.

I ran once during Week 6, and after that I stopped to catch up on work. I literally couldn’t afford to expend so much energy on running while trying to chop my backlog, which piled up because of personal matters.

Anyway, work has become stable and this week I started running again. I was so excited to go out last Tuesday that I caught myself singing aloud, “Here I come to save the daaaay!” Yeah, it was pretty embarrassing if anybody heard it. I got off to a strong start but I was so out of shape that after 4K I was reduced to walking. However, this proved fortuitous as I met a girl on the tracks who was walking beside me, and now I have a running buddy. ^_^

I returned on Thursday and it was much better. I did 8K without really getting tired. I’m getting my mojo back. I’m no longer all that concerned about my speed. Endurance is more vital with just two months of training left to go.

For Saturday, I’ll do 10K. I’ll gradually work my way up to 36K by the end of the month, hopefully. If I’m able to do that, I’m sure I can finish the Milo Marathon without wilting. I’m no longer gunning for the 4:20 qualifying time as the lay off has made that next to impossible. I’ll be happy to finish within the 6-hour limit since it’s my first 42K. Thinking about it… 6 hours on the road, pounding pavement. Tsk. It’s crazy, right?


UPDATE: Details of the Saturday Run

When I got to the camp, I saw a huge banner with the word “START” in front of the grandstand. Apparently, the soldiers hold a fun run every last Saturday of the month (this one got delayed by a week). The categories are 5K, 7K, 10K, and 15K.

I did my usual solo run outside the crowded tracks, and by my 3rd kilometer, I came across the 5K runners who were just starting out. A soldier guard told me, “Sali ka! Pwede yun. 5K lang naman.”

I thought about it. After rehydrating, I saw a fellow girl jogger I met the other day and tried to convince her to join the race as well. A few moments later, we were blazing our way through the runners. I heard some of them remark, “Iba talaga pag bata pa.”

This is the first time my companion has ever ran the distance at a grueling pace (under 6min/K). I did my best to pace her so she’ll last until the end, which she did, quite strongly. We sprinted the last 100 meters to the finish line, and beyond.

Lucky for her that it was rest after that. I still had to run 2K+ to reach my 10K quota for the day. It was exhausting, but I had a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to joining the next fun run. ^__^


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s